I’m Jon, and home networking pro, and a tech junkie. I have Xfinity service in my home, and I put together this guide to help you reset your Xfinity remote.
So, let’s get your remote reset.
Troubleshoot the Xfinity Remote First
If your Xfinity remote isn’t working correctly, try troubleshooting it first before resetting it.
First, inspect it for any physical damage, like cracks, water, etc. If it looks physically broke, you probably need a new one.
If the remote isn’t physically broken, hit any button and see if it lights up. If it does, check if all the batteries are properly inserted and have power.
If the batteries are good, but the Xfinity remote still isn’t working, move on to reset it.
Steps to Reset Xfinity Remote with a Setup Button (XR11, XR2, & the XR5 Models)
If your Xfinity remote has a setup button, you can use it to reset the remote. 
First, find the setup button on your Xfinity remote. It’s usually either red or blue and is located near the top of the remote.
Once you’ve found the setup button, press and hold it down for about five seconds until the LED at the top of the remote changes from red to green.
Next, press 9-8-1, and the LED will blink green twice to show it has been successfully reset.
Re-pairing the Xfinity Remote to Your TV Box
Since this process unpairs the remote with your Xfinity TV Box, you will need to re-pair them.  Here’s how:
- Turn on your TV and Xfinity TV Box.
- On the Xfinity remote, find the A button and press it while pointing it at the TV.
- The TV Box will ask if you want to use the remote to control and power your TV. Select “Yes.”
- It will then ask you if you want to use voice control. Select “Yes” if you do.
- Next, type in your TV’s brand (Samsung, LG, Sony, etc) using the remote’s arrow keys, then hit OK.
- The TV Box should say its ready to pair, hit OK again.
- Your remote is now successfully re-paired to your TV.
Now, try using the Xfinity remote to see if it’s working properly. If it is, great! If not, skip down to our “Resetting the Xfinity Remote Didn’t Help?” section.
Steps to Reset Xfinity Remote without a Setup Button (XR15 Models)
If your Xfinity remote doesn’t have a setup button, here is how to reset it.
- Find the D (diamond) and A (triangle) buttons on your Xfinity remote. Press and hold both buttons simultaneously for about three seconds until the LED changes from red to green.
- Hit 9-8-1.
- The remote’s LED will blink blue three times to show you’ve successfully reset it.
Next, follow the steps in the previous section to re-pair the remote with your TV Box. If resetting the remote didn’t solve your problem, scroll down for some additional tips.
Steps to Reset Xfinity Remote without a Setup Button (XR16 Models)
To reset the Xfinity Voice Remote for Flex (XR16 model with no number buttons), do these steps:
- Press and hold the Info (i) and Home buttons at the same time until its light blinks (about 5 seconds).
- Press Power, then Last (< arrow), then the Volume Down (-) button in this order on your remote.
- Next, re-pair it to your Flex.
Resetting the Xfinity Remote Didn’t Help?
If you reset your Xfinity remote and it’s still not working, there could be a few other issues. Besides double-checking the batteries, you can try these steps.
#1 Pair to Your Xfinity TV Box
Perhaps you reset the remote and skipped over the fact that you have to re-pair it to your TV Box. In that case, scroll back up and follow the steps to pair the Xfinity remote to your TV Box.
Remember, resetting your Xfinity Remote restores it to factory defaults and unpairs it with every device. Re-pairing is 100% necessary.
#2 Reset your X1 TV Box
If every step above still doesn’t resolve the issue, try resetting your Comcast Xfinity X1 TV Box.
- Unplug the TV Box for around 10 seconds
- Plug it back in
You can also reset it from “My Account Online,” Device Settings, “My Account App,” or from the TV Box’s help menu. But, since your remote doesn’t work, you won’t be able to do a few of these options.
#3 Get a New Xfinity Remote
If you’ve tried all of the above troubleshooting steps and your Xfinity remote still doesn’t work, it may be time to get a new one. To get a replacement Xfinity remote:
- Order one online
- Call or chat with a Comcast Xfinity representative
- Pick one up from your local Comcast Xfinity office
When you get the new remote, you’ll need to follow the steps for resetting and re-pairing we shared above.
You can also check out our Comcast Xfinity remote troubleshooting guide for additional help.
You can reset your Xfinity remote by pressing the Setup (or A and D) button(s) until the LED changes colors, then typing 9-8-1. But, once you reset it, you need to pair it to your TV Box again.
If resetting your Xfinity remote didn’t solve your problem, you might need to get a new one. You can do that by ordering one online, calling or chatting with Comcast, or visiting a Comcast office in person.
While your remote is out of order, you can try the Xfinity Stream app to stay up to date with your favorite shows.