Thanks for tuning into our guide on AT&T’s cheapest internet, Wireless, and TV plans.
To find out what they are, I’ve been studying AT&T extensively. Now, I can show you which plan is going to offer the best value for money, both for TV and internet.
I’ll be covering the following subjects in this article:
- The most affordable AT&T internet plan
- More cheap AT&T internet plans
- Save more money on your internet bill
- The cheapest AT&T DirecTV plan
- More cheap DirecTV plans
- Save money on your DirecTV bill
- The cheapest AT&T Wireless plan
- Save money on your AT&T Wireless bill
Keep reading to learn more.
The Cheapest AT&T Internet Plan Overall
Here are the cheapest internet plans from AT&T.
AT&T Fiber 300 – Cheapest Overall
AT&T Fiber 300 offers 300 Mbps of download and upload speed. That’s more than enough for a whole family. It would allow for as many as 12 simultaneous Ultra HD Netflix streams, for example.
In fact, we would go so far as to say that 300 Mbps would be enough speed for 10 or so people, even if they are using the internet rather heavily.
The speed and the equal upload and download speeds aren’t the only perks of AT&T Fiber. You’ll also get all the following benefits when you sign up for this plan:
- No minimum contract length: Sign up for AT&T Fiber 300 for as little as one month. There’s no obligation to stay on longer than this, which is great for flexibility.
- ActiveArmor security: Your home network will be prevented by top antivirus technology free of charge, courtesy of AT&T ActiveArmor.
- No data cap: Use the internet to your heart’s content with AT&T Fiber 300. There’s no limit to the amount of data you’re allowed to use on this plan.
- AT&T Hot Spot: You’ll get access to AT&T hotspots around the country as an AT&T Fiber customer. This will allow you to get online on the go in a lot of cities all around the country.
- No equipment fees: All AT&T Fiber 300 customers will get to rent the AT&T Gateway router from AT&T for as long as they have the plan. The only time you’ll be charged is if you fail to return it at the end of the contract.
- AT&T Smart Home Manager app: You can control all your internet settings with a very neat app from the App Store or the Play Store. Those settings include your network name, password, preferences and more.
However, AT&T Fiber’s availability is limited as of yet. It’s still quite new, so AT&T is rolling it out to as much of the country as possible, but this is a time-consuming process. It’s currently available in roughly one third of AT&T’s overall coverage map.
To view that map and to find out if AT&T Fiber is available in your area, check out this guide.
AT&T Fiber 5 Gig – Cheapest Price per Mbps
In terms of price per Mbps (the main internet speed measurement unit), the best value plan is AT&T Fiber 5 Gig. It’s one of the only 5000 Mbps plans in the world.
The cost? $180 per month. That works out to just 3.6¢ per MB compared to the 18.3¢ of the AT&T Fiber 300 plan we just discussed.
If you’re looking for an immense amount of speed for a decent price, AT&T Fiber 5 Gig could be the plan for you. However, the vast majority of people are not going to need this kind of speed. It’s only really useful for businesses with dozens of employees.
Other Affordable AT&T Internet Plans
As much as we love the AT&T Fiber 300 plan, it’s not the only one that’s worth considering from AT&T. However, you might not be lucky enough to get any of the Fiber plans. If that’s the case, you’ll be stuck with regular AT&T Internet.
Let’s find out more about what else is available now.
AT&T Fiber 500
The next level up on the AT&T Fiber ladder is AT&T Fiber 500. For an extra 200 Mbps, you’ll need to pay an additional $10 per month plus taxes.
This still works out to be less expensive than some of the competition. Plus, it’s available in all areas in which AT&T Fiber 300 is.
Is it worth it? Well, for most people, 300 Mbps is going to be more than enough. But if you’re a small business owner, or if you need to download a lot of large files, AT&T Fiber 500 could still be worth a look at.
500 Mbps would be enough speed for at least 10 regular internet users to share.
Regular AT&T Internet
If you don’t live in an area where AT&T Fiber is available, AT&T Internet is the only option that’s left. Here, the prices are more expensive for the speed you get. That’s because it’s a different technology that can’t support as high speed as Fiber.
There are a lot of AT&T Internet plans available. Some of them are as follows.
|AT&T Internet Plan||Price Before 12 Months||Price After 12 Months||Price change|
This is just a selection of the AT&T Internet plans. Some of them go even slower. They can have speed caps of less than 1 Mbps for very rare, super rural areas. That’s not much fun!
You’ll notice that the price of these plans is the same no matter which speed is on your plan. That’s because you don’t get to pick the speed. AT&T sets the speed cap based on the area you live in. So, you might end up with something really slow.
To find out which kind of speed you can get at home, enter your address at this website. That’s the one sure fire way to knowing what AT&T can offer you.
There are a couple more issues with AT&T Internet that might put you off signing up. They are:
- Long contracts: There are no one month contracts here. You’ll need to commit to these plans for at least a year.
- More expensive in second year: Every single internet plan goes up by $15 per month at the one year mark. Hopefully you’ll be able to get Fiber before your year is up!
- Equipment rental fee: There’s an additional fee of $10 per month to lease the AT&T Gateway router. However, you can get around that by getting your own router. More on that can be found in our guide to AT&T hidden fees.
However, you will still get ActiveArmor security with your AT&T Internet plan. This means a well protected network, and that’s a very important thing to have these days.
Affordable Connectivity Program
If you live in a low income household, you might be able to get your home internet for free, or at a large discount.
This is through the Affordable Connectivity Program, a federal program that aims to get those with low incomes online.
Your income will need to be at most 200% of the federal poverty guidelines or if you participate in one of the qualifying federal assistance programs.
To find out once and for all whether this program is open to you, check out this page.
How to Save More Money with Your AT&T Internet Bill
Whether you end up with AT&T Internet or Fiber, there are a couple of things to do to save extra cash on your bill. Here are some of our tips. And when you’re done, you can find out more in our ultimate guide to saving money with AT&T.
- AutoPay and Paperless Billing: All prices on the AT&T website are listed with $5 taken off for AutoPay and Paperless Billing. That $5 per month will be added back on if you don’t take up both of these things.
- Set up your network yourself: You could be charged up to $99 to set up your AT&T Internet or Fiber network. To get around this, you might be able to do it yourself. Speak to AT&T to find out if this is possible.
- Keep an eye out for deals: There are currently no specific deals for AT&T Internet or Fiber, but that’s not to say there won’t be any in the future. Keep an eye out on the website to see if anything becomes available.
- Avoid extra usage fees: Some of the AT&T Internet plans have data caps and will charge you if you go over them. That charge will be $10 per month for every 50 GB used up to a maximum of $200.
The Cheapest AT&T DirecTV Plan Overall
The entry level package on DirecTV Stream, Entertainment, is the lowest price at $69.99 per month plus taxes. It offers 75+ basic channels including a few sports, news and various entertainment channels . You can find out exactly what they are in this channel lineup.
We love DirecTV. It’s one of the best TV networks in the US. However, in terms of price per channel, it works out more expensive than some of the competition.
There are a couple of extra perks that come with DirecTV Stream though. And you can’t get some of these elsewhere:
- No contract: You can sign up for DirecTV Stream Entertainment for as little as one month. If you decide that you need more channels or that it’s not right for you after this time, you can cancel for no problem.
- 7 day free trial: Even better! You can try out any of the DirecTV Stream packages for 7 days, totally free of charge. Not sure which tier to go for? This is the perfect way to find out.
- Available across the US: DirecTV Stream is one of the only TV services that’s available across the whole of the US. As long as you can get a stable internet connection at home, you’ll be able to use DirecTV Stream.
- Take it on the go with you: DirecTV Stream can be streamed on tons of devices in the same home simultaneously but it goes even better than this. You can also stream on three devices outside of the home at the same time. Just download the app on your phone, laptop or tablet.
Other Affordable AT&T DirecTV Plans
Would you prefer to have a satellite service or do you feel like you want more channels? Another one of the DirecTV packages might be better suited to you. Here’s a look at a couple more options:
DirecTV Satellite Entertainment
The other option for Entertainment is to take it up with DirecTV Satellite as opposed to DirecTV Stream. This is a better option for those with slow internet as your internet speed will not affect your TV quality.
You’ll get more channels with Satellite too. The number jumps from 75+ to 165+. That extra 90 channels includes lots of local news, sports and more.
However, this option is more expensive and requires you to sign up for a 24 month contract. The price per month is $74.99 in the first year then some $102 per month in the second year.
It’s not available in every corner of the US so you might want to check the AT&T website to find out before you get too excited about this plan!
DirecTV Stream Choice
Streaming might be the right choice for you, but what if Entertainment doesn’t have enough channels? If that’s the case, you could spend $20 more per month to get the next level up with 30 more channels with DirecTV Choice.
This package has a total of 105 channels and costs $89.99 per month. The extra channels consist of more entertainment and sport, which could well be worth it for a lot of people.
How to Save More Money with Your AT&T DirecTV Bill
Now that you’ve selected a cheap AT&T internet and/or TV package, how about some more ways to save money on your bill? Here are our top tips on the matter. You can find out more about saving money with AT&T here.
- Use your own streaming device: You’ll need some kind of hardware with DirecTV Stream. AT&T will try to sell or lease you their own streaming device for a total cost of $120. But, you can get around this by opting for something like a Chromecast instead.
- Opt for Paperless Billing and Autopay: Choosing to sign up for your bills via email instead of in the post and setting up a direct debit will save you from an additional $5 being added to your bill every month.
- Don’t miss a payment: Another key reason to sign up for a direct debit is that you won’t miss a payment, provided that you have enough funding in your account. If you were to miss a payment, a fee of $4.25 will be added to your account.
The Cheapest AT&T Wireless Plan
Here are the cheapest AT&T Wireless cell phone plans.
Cheapest for a Single Line
Here’s a summary of the features of this plan:
- Unlimited talk, text and 4GB data in the US, Mexico and Canada: After 4GB, you’ll need to pay a fee for any additional data you want to use. That’s not a lot of data to go with these days, so it’s worth considering this closely before you sign up.
- ActiveArmor Mobile Security: Your cell phone network will be protected with this neat antivirus software. It comes for free for as long as you are on the plan.
- 5G Access: You’ll get fast mobile data through 5G (where available). However, you won’t get superfast speed through ‘premium data’, as we will explain shortly.
- Mobile Hotspot: Share your data with other devices through mobile hotspot.
- Unlimited texting to 200+ countries: Go international with AT&T plus!
- Standard Definition streaming: You can watch videos on this plan, but you won’t be able to access them in HD.
Cheapest for Multiple Lines
If you’re planning on taking up more than one line, you could save money by opting for one of the AT&T Wireless Unlimited plans.
The cheapest of these is Unlimited Starter. It costs $65 if you take it up with just one line. However, it’s only $30 per line if you take up five or more lines.
And you get better perks with this plan than you do with the 4 GB plan. Here’s what’s in store with Unlimited Starter in addition to those listed above with regards to the 4 GB plan:
- Unlimited data: There’s no 4 GB data cap to worry about here! You can use the internet to your heart’s content, but there’s still no HD streaming.
- 3GB faster hotspot: You’ll get the regular speed hotspot for 3GB before it’s slowed down to the slower speed of the 4 GB plan.
Side note: the next level up on the ladder, AT&T Wireless Unlimited Extra, comes with 50GB of ‘premium data’ plus 15 GB of hotspot instead of 3 GB. For this, you’ll need to pay $5 more per line if you take up four or more.
Premium data is effectively superfast 5G access that is not throttled during peak times or in busy areas.
How to Save More Money with your AT&T Wireless Bill
We have a couple of extra tips on saving money on your bill with AT&T Wireless. Check them out:
- Get money off as a Fiber customer: AT&T Fiber customers can get 25% off their Wireless bill.
- Reach out to military personnel or veteran family members: Families of these groups of people will be entitled to 25% off their bill.
- Get money off your bill as a teacher senior: There are also deals for these groups of people. Find out about teacher deals here and senior deals here.
- Autopay and Paperless Billing: Make sure you take up these two options to avoid an extra $5 on top of your monthly bill.
- Don’t change your number: This will cost you an additional $35.
Cheap AT&T Internet and TV Plans FAQ
Want to know more about saving money with the cheapest AT&T internet and TV plans? Check out the questions and answers below.
Where is AT&T Internet and TV available?
You’ll be able to get DirecTV Stream and Satellite in every state of the US. However, not every inch of land is covered for both.
Internet is a little more sporadic as it’s only available in some states. And Fiber is available in a small section of that Internet coverage zone, roughly one third in fact. Find out more here.
Are there any deals that can save me more money?
Right now, there are no actual deals for AT&T Internet or Fiber, but that could change at any time so it could be worth keeping an eye on.
DirecTV is currently running a deal where select plans will have a reduced payment for the first couple of months. This deal seems to change semi-regularly, so take a look at the DirecTV website to find out how much is currently being offered as a discount.
What’s the cheapest AT&T Home Phone plan?
Another AT&T service is Home Phone. While it’s nowhere near as popular as it used to be after the increasing popularity of cell phones, it’s certainly still alive and strong.
The cheapest plan for it is Phone Unlimited North America which costs $24.99 plus taxes and fees.
Last Thoughts on the Cheapest AT&T Internet and TV Plans
AT&T might not be the cheapest provider in the world but it does offer pretty good value for money on some of its services. We hope you’ve managed to find a great plan that saves you money having read this article.
If you live further east, you might not be covered by AT&T for internet plans. If that’s the case, you may want to check out the cheapest internet plan from Verizon instead.