Xfinity’s Stream app makes it so existing Xfinity customers can watch On Demand, Xfinity channels, and other programming on certain devices. You’ll love this app if you live in a household with under six people. Or if you want to take your channels on the go. Explore this Stream app guide to learn more.
Sometimes internet providers have hidden gems. And as a network enthusiast, I want to uncover those. Thus, I’ve created this guide on Xfinity’s streaming(ish) app.
To help you master this app and to help you determine whether it’s worth downloading, I’ll cover the following:
- What it is
- Whether you should use it
- Channels you can watch
- Compatible devices
- How to activate it on specific devices
- How to get Xfinity Stream
Keep reading, and you’ll find yourself using the Stream app in no time.
What Is Xfinity Stream?
The Comcast Xfinity Stream app makes it so existing Comcast Xfinity subscribers can watch live TV, On Demand, and Cloud DVR recordings on multiple compatible devices. Online and offline.
Five devices while at home. And three on the go. Channel availability will vary by device and whether you’re at home.
I’ll cover this more in-depth in a bit.
I mentioned Cloud DVR. You’ll need to pay an extra fee to use it. $10 per month for 150 hours worth of storage.
Who Should Use Xfinity Stream?
The Xfinity Stream app works best for households of five or fewer people who don’t want to share a TV. It also works for homes with individuals (up to three) who want to watch channels while away from home.
Not anyone can use Xfinity’s streaming app.
You’ll have to subscribe to a Xfinity Comcast TV or internet plan. You’ll also need compatible devices. I’ll cover those later in this guide.
And since you’re using the internet to stream content, you will need sufficient internet speed. Xfinity doesn’t specify what speed you’ll need. Standard definition (720p) requires 1 Mbps download speed. And HD (1080p) requires 5 Mbps.
For five devices simultaneously streaming 1080p content, you’ll need AT LEAST 25 Mbps worth of available bandwidth.
Xfinity Stream App: Noteworthy Features
Here are the features you’ll get with the Xfinity Stream app:
- Offline viewing: Cloud DVR subscribers can download recordings and watch offline
- Parental controls: limit channels, titles, and ratings (e.g., PG) your household can watch
- Content view filtering: find content easier with search filtering options like High Definition
- Over 200 channels: channels you can watch depends on your Comcast Xfinity TV plan
- Watch Xfinity channels and On Demand at and away from home: on five simultaneous devices (at home) and three devices (on the go)
Almost all these features speak for themselves. Except for channels. Read the following section to learn what you can watch with the Stream’s most crucial feature.
Paid and Free Channels You Can Watch on Xfinity Stream
Depending on your Comcast Xfinity television plan, you could get any of these over 200 channels:
|A&E||ABC||ACC Network||Adult Swim|
|The Africa Channel||AFRO||AMC||AMC+|
|American Heroes||Animal Planet||Aspire||AXS TV|
|BabyFirstTV Español||BBC America||BBC World News||BET Gospel|
|BET HER||BET Hip-hop||BET Jams||BET Soul|
|BET||Big Ten Network||Black News Channel||Bloomberg Television|
|CBS Sports Network||Centroamérica TV||Cheddar News||Cinelatino|
|Cinema Dinamita||Cinema||Cinemáx||5 Star Max|
|Action Max||More Max||Movie max||Outer Max|
|Thriller Max||CLEO TV||CMT||CMT Music|
|CNBC||CNN||Comedy Central||Comedy TV|
|Cooking Channel||Crime & Investigation||C-SPAN 1||C-SPAN 2|
|C-SPAN 3||Destination America||Discovery Channel||Discovery en Español|
|Discovery Familia||Discovery Family||Discovery Life||Disney Channel|
|EPIX 2||EPIX Drive-In||EPIX Hits||ESPN|
|ESPN 2||ESPN 3||ESPN Deportes||ESPNEWS|
|ESPNU||The Filipino Channel||FM||Food Network|
|FOX||FOX Business Channel||FOX Deportes||FOX News Channel|
|FOX Sports 1||FOX Sports 2||Freeform||Fuse|
|G4||Galavisión||Game Show Network (GSN)||Globo|
|GMA Pinoy||Golf Channel||Hallmark Channel||Hallmark Drama|
|Hallmark Movies & Mysteries||HBO||HBO 2||HBO Comedy|
|HBO Family||HBO Latino||HBO Signature||HBO Zone|
|HGTV||History Channel||History en Español||HITN TV|
|INSP||Investigation Discovery (ID)||Jewelry Television||Jewish Broadcast Service|
|JusticeCentral.TV||Kids Street (formerly Kids Central)||Latin American Sports Network||Lifetime|
|Lifetime Movies||Logo TV||Magnolia Network (Formerly DIY)||Mexicanal|
|MTV||MTV2||MTV Classic||MTV Live|
|MTV Tr3s||Multimedios||Music Choice (50 channels)||Nat Geo|
|Nat Geo WILD||National Geographic Channel||Naturescapes (formerly Stingray Ambiance)||NBC|
|NewsNation||Nuestra Tele Internacional||Nick Jr.||Nick Music|
|Nickelodeon||NickToons||Olympic Channel||Outdoor Channel|
|Ovation||OWN||Oxygen||Pac-12 Networks (seven total)|
|Paramount Network||Pasiones||PBS WHYY (Philadelphia, PA area only)||Pop|
|Primo TV||QVC||RCN Novelas||Recipe. TV|
|REELZ||REVOLT TV||Science Channel||ScreenPix|
|ScreenPix Action||ScreenPix Voices||ScreenPix Westerns||SEC Network|
|SHOWTIME||SHOWTIME 2||SHO x BET||SHOWTIME Extreme|
|SHOWTIME Family||SHOWTIME Showcase||SHOWTIME Next||SHOWTIME Women|
|Sky News||Smithsonian Channel||Sony Cine||STARZ|
|STARZEncore||STARZEncore Action||STARZEncore Black||STARZEncore Westerns|
|Stingray Classic Rock||Stingray Flashback ‘70s||Stingray Greatest Hits||Stingray Hit List|
|Stingray Hot Country||Stingray Pop Adult||Stingray Remember the ‘80s||Stingray Rock Alternative|
|Stingray Latin Pop||Stingray Urban Beats||SundanceTV||SyFy|
|Televisión Española||Tennis Channel||TLC||TNT|
|Travel Channel||truTV||TUDN||Turner Classic Movies (TCM)|
|TV5Monde||TV Dominicana||TV Land||TV One|
|VICE||ViendoMovies||Vme Kids||WE TV|
|The Weather Channel||Willow||Zee TV||Zona Fútbol|
This table shows channels you can watch on Xfinity Stream.
Free channels you can get with Xfinity Stream include:
|Dust||HSN2||Shout Factory TV|
|Stingray Music Channels|
This table presents what free channels you can get with Xfinity Stream.
If you’re using an Apple device, you can’t watch the following channels on the go:
- ABC local live streams
Comcast doesn’t specify why this is the case. I suppose it’s hardware or software limitations.
The only local channels you can stream when away from home on every other device and operating system include:
I’d usually compare channels you can and can’t use in this case. But there are over a couple of hundred channels. I believe the list above should give you an idea of what you can watch while traveling.
What Devices Can Use the Xfinity Stream App?
Devices you can use the Xfinity Stream app with include:
- LG Smart TVs: 2018–2021 models
- Samsung Smart TVs: 2018–2022 modems (T-KTSNAKUC 1131.9+)
- Desktop and laptop browsers connected to your Xfinity network
- Some Android devices (Android 5.0+)
- Amazon devices: Fire Phone, Fire TV Stick, Fire Smart TV, and Kindle Fire
- Samsung devices
- Chromecast (Cast only): Google TV, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, Chromecast, and devices with Chromecast built-in
- *Certain Apple devices (iOS 13+): iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone, iPad Air
* You can’t use AirPlay with Xfinity Stream.
You can only use the Xfinity Stream app Beta with some of these devices (like the Roku). That means you’ll have limited functionality. I’ll cover these in a bit.
And to use Stream Beta, you’ll need an activation code. I’ll cover how to get these on specific devices in the next point.
Devices Xfinity specifies you CAN’T use with Stream include:
- Xfinity Flex or Xfinity X1 TV Boxes
- Windows phones and tablets
- Android TV
- Apple TV and watch
Let’s dive into details on what specific device models you can use with Xfinity Stream.
I’m going to start with Stream-compatible Roku devices:
|Streaming Sticks||3600X, 3800X, 3810X, 3820X, and 3921X|
|Roku 3||4200X and 4230X|
|Roku Premiere||3920X and 4620X|
|Roku Premiere+||3921X and 4630X|
|Roku Express||3700X, 3900X, and 3930X|
|Roku Express+||3710X, 3910X, and 3931X|
|Roku Express 4K||3940X|
|Roku Express 4K+||3941X|
|Roku Ultra||4640X, 4660X, 4670X, and 4800X|
|Roku Ultra LT||4662X|
This table lists what Roku devices you can use with the Xfinity Stream app.
How To Activate Certain Devices on Xfinity Stream
The following several sections will talk about how to activate Xfinity Stream on the following devices:
- Samsung and LG Smart TVs
- Roku (all compatible devices)
- Amazon Fire TV (and Fire TV Stick)
- Casting Xfinity Stream content on a Chromecast
Xfinity only lets you use the Xfinity Stream Beta app on these devices. Thus, you can’t wander into an app store and download the app. And while using the Beta app, you’ll have limited features.
The Xfinity Stream Beta app excludes many features such as:
- App availability: missing YouTube, Pandora, and Netflix
- Missing X1 apps: My Account, Sports companion, xFi, and voicemail
- *Rentals through On Demand and Pay Per View events: important information below this list
- Navigation voice control through the Xfinity Voice Remote
* You can watch TV and movie rentals (with On Demand) on any supported Amazon Fire TV and Roku devices. You can’t rent anything through Samsung or LG Smart TVs.
So if you have a Roku or Amazon TV device, you can watch Netflix and YouTube.
Activating the Xfinity Stream App on a Smart TV
Create and link an LG or Samsung account to your smart TV. If you haven’t created an account yet, follow these links to each manufacturer’s website to get started:
Here are what steps you’ll need to perform on each smart TV type.
Activating Xfinity Stream on a Samsung Smart TV
Ensure you connected your Samsung Smart TV to the internet, then follow these steps to figure out your TV’s version:
- Press the button labeled ‘Smart Hub’ on your Smart Control remote and navigate to Samsung Home
- Select the gear on the right side (Settings)
- Navigate to and select ‘Support’
- Press the right arrow and afterward the down arrow (navigate to ‘About this TV)
- Note your TV’s Serial Number, Software Version, and other information
Refer to the previous section’s required software version and Samsung Smart TV models.
Find the Xfinity Stream Beta app on your TV by following these steps:
- Press Smart Hub again
- Select Apps
- Press the Magnifying Glass icon
- Use the on-screen keyboard and type “Xfinity Stream”
- Select the Xfinity Stream Beta app and download it
- Open the app and sign in with your Xfinity credentials
If you haven’t activated the app on your Samsung Smart TV, you’ll see an Activation Code appear on your screen. Navigate to Xfinity.com/authorize on a SEPARATE device and type the code into the text field.
You should see the text “Success!” appear on your screen. That means everything worked, and your TV will take you to the Stream menu in a moment.
Activating Xfinity Stream on an LG Smart TV
Connect your LG Smart TV to the internet and follow these steps:
- Navigate to the LG Content Store
- Open Apps & Games
- Search for and select the Xfinity Stream Beta app
- Install the app
- Launch the app and log in with your Comcast Xfinity credentials
- You’ll see an Activation Code appear on the screen, open Xfinity.com/authorize on a separate device
- Enter the code into the text field of the web page and wait for “Success!” to appear on the screen
- Upon successfully activating your device, the Stream will automatically take you to the app’s main menu
If you don’t see the Xfinity Stream Beta app, you don’t have a compatible LG device.
Activating Xfinity Stream on Roku Devices
Activate the Xfinity Stream Beta app on your Roku device by first connecting your device to the internet. Open the Roku Channel Store, find the Xfinity Channel app, and download it. Upon opening the app, log into your Xfinity account.
You’ll see an Authentication Code appear on your TV.
Open a browser tab on a separate device and type Xfinity.com/authorize. Upon loading the page, you’ll see a text field appear.
Enter the Authentication Code on your TV into the text field and wait. Upon seeing the text “Success!” appear, the Xfinity app will automatically take you to Stream’s home page.
Activating the Xfinity Stream App on a Fire TV Stick and Fire TV
Connect an Amazon account to your Fire Stick or Fire TV device. Now search for the Xfinity Stream Beta app on the Amazon app store and download it.
Open the app and select the ‘Get Started’ button once the text appears.
You’ll see an Activation Code appear on your TV. Use a separate device and follow this link to Xfinity’s authorization page. Enter the code from your TV into the text field.
You should see ‘Success!’ appear in your browser window. You activated the Stream app on your Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV. And finally, the main menu for the streaming app should appear.
How To Cast the Xfinity Stream App on Chromecast
You have two ways to cast (send content to a separate device) Xfinity Stream to your Chromecast. Through an app or in your browser.
Here’s how to cast Xfinity Stream through an app:
- Open the Xfinity Stream app on a separate device
- Tap the Cast icon (icon adjacent to the magnifying glass)
- Select your Chromecast device
If you’re using an Apple device, you’ll need to give your app permission to connect to other devices on your local network. Follow this sequence in your settings menu: Settings>Privacy>Local network.
Tap or toggle the Xfinity Stream app.
To cast Xfinity Stream from your browser, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Log into the Xfinity Stream portal on your browser: I’ll provide a link in the next point)
- Open content you want to stream
- In the lower-left corner, press the grayed-out Cast button: it looks like a Wi-Fi icon that’s eating a tablet
- Click the button again if you have more than one device
- Select your Chromecast device
- Once you have a successful connection, the grayed-out Cast button will turn solid white
Alternatively, you’ll see a Cast icon on the left side adjacent to the search bar. Click it and connect your device. Once connected, the text “Ready to Cast” will appear on your screen.
How Do I Find the Xfinity Stream?
Here are the app store links where you’ll find Xfinity Stream:
- Xfinity Stream on the Google Play Store
- Xfinity Stream on the Amazon App Store
- Xfinity Stream on the Apple App Store
You can watch Xfinity Stream with your browser by logging into your Comcast account.
If you don’t see the Stream app in your app store, you may have a device that doesn’t support it. Or you may need to update your phone’s operating system.
For Android devices, type ‘Software Update’ into your device’s search bar. Or search for the setting in your Settings menu.
Search for the same setting on Apple devices to update your iOS version.
To use the Xfinity Stream Beta app, you’ll need to open the Xfinity Channel app on certain devices and watch as an activation code appears on your screen. Visit Xfinity.com/authorize and enter the code.
Xfinity gives households of up to five people a means to watch Comcast channels without fighting over who gets the TV. It’s also an excellent means for someone to watch channels while traveling (in the US).
Accessing the app requires a bit of work, depending on the device. In most cases, you visit an app store and download it. Meanwhile, some devices need you to enter an activation code on a dedicated Xfinity web page.
Don’t know whether you want to use Xfinity Stream?
Read through my Stream app review. I tear this app apart and give an honest opinion on whether it’s worth it.